CARROLTON, Ohio -- Ohio State University Extension's Sustainable Agriculture Team has kicked off its annual Summer Farm Tour Series -- on-farm visits and learning workshops that focus on sustainable agricultural and gardening enterprises and farming skills.
The tours are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted. The event is a collaborative effort between Ohio State Extension and the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association, Innovative Farmers of Ohio, and the Ohio Organic Crop Improvement Association Chapter 1.
The tours will be held throughout several central and southern Ohio counties and include such topics as organic and pasture-based dairy, berry production, direct marketing, cut flowers, organic vegetable production, composting, rotational grazing, bioshelters, organic pork, school gardens and farm land preservation.
The following is a comprehensive list of the tours and "Learning in the Field" workshops. For more information, contact the respective location of each tour or contact the Ohio State Extension Sustainable Agriculture Team at (330) 627-4310, or log on to http://sustainableag.osu.edu.
• Direct Marketing Berries: Milless Family Farm; Amanda, OH; July 7; 6 p.m.-8 p.m.; (740) 969-4159.
• Berries and Blumes: Ohio State South Centers; Piketon, OH; July 14; 5 p.m.-8 p.m.; dinner included; (740) 289-2071.
• Organic Vegetable Production: Bluebird Farm; Cadiz, OH; July 17; noon-2 p.m.; (740) 945-0217.
• Diversified Organic Farm/Working with Restaurants: Just This Farm; Galloway, OH; July 24; 1 p.m.-4 p.m.; (614) 853-1036.
• Organic Dairy/Intensive Rotational Grazing: Larksong Farm; Fredricksburg, OH; August 6; beginning at 10 a.m.
• Environmentally Friendly Milk Production: Sutton Farm; Irondale, OH; August 9; 1 p.m.-3 p.m.; (740) 768-2892.
• Soil and Water Field Night: Ohio State South Centers; Piketon, OH; August 11; 5:45 p.m.-8 p.m.; (740) 289-2071.
• Grass Based Dairy Farms, Central Ohio Grazing Dairy Tour in Knox and Morrow counties; August 19; $5 pre-registration required, includes lunch and tour bus. For more information, log on to http://www.ifoh.org. To register, contact Ohio State Extension Educator Jeff McCutcheon at (740) 397-0401.
• Edible School Gardens: Granny's Garden School, Inc.; Loveland, OH; August 20; 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
• Working Education Farm: Gorman Heritage Farm; Evendale, OH; August 20; noon-4 p.m.; (513) 563-6663.
• Year-Round Specialized Vegetable Production: Green Edge Gardens; Amesville, OH; August 13; 1 p.m.-4 p.m.; (740) 448-4021.
• Vegetable Farming as a Business/Working with Restaurants: Sippel Family Farm; Mt. Gilead, OH; August 14; 1 p.m.-4 p.m.; (419) 946-1394.
• Vegetables, Fruits, and Fields: Southern State Community College; Hillsboro, OH; August 15; 6 p.m.-8:30 p.m.; dinner included; (740) 289-3727.
• Organic Agriculture Research at OSU/OARDC: Organic Food and Farming Education and Research Field Day; Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center; Wooster, OH; Sept. 7, 4 p.m.-7 p.m.; (330) 202-3528.
• Sustainable Agriculture Field Day: John Hirzel Research and Education Site; Bowling Green, OH; Sept. 8; 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.; (419) 354-9050.
• Farmland Preservation Strategies: Hohmann Clearview Farm; Pataskala, OH; Sept. 10; 1 p.m.-3 p.m.; (740) 927-8268.
• OCIA Annual Meeting/Organic Grain and Pork Production: Curly Tail Organic Farm; Fredericktown, OH; Sept. 17; 1:30 p.m.; (740) 694-8622.
• Women in Agriculture featuring three farms: Marysville, OH; Sept. 17; 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Pumpkins/Farm Museum/Dowsing: Stone Garden Farm; Richfield, OH; Sept. 25; 12: 30 p.m.-5 p.m.; (330) 659-3507.
• Impact of Land Use on Watersheds: North Appalachian Experimental Watershed; Coshocton, OH; Oct. 1; 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; (740) 545-6349.
• Biointegrated Sustainable Agriculture: Rainfresh Harvest; Plain City, OH; Oct. 2; p.m.-5 p.m.
"Learning in the Field" Workshops:
• Organic Weed and Pest Control in the Market Garden: New Marshfield, OH; July 10; 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Blueberry Bonanza at Silver Creek Farm: Hiram, OH; July 23; 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; $10 for Innovative Farmers of Ohio members and $15 for nonmembers; registration deadline is July 6.
• Christmas Tree and Specialty Crop Production at Cackler Family Farm: Delaware, OH; August 6; noon-3:30 p.m.; $10 for IFO members and $15 for nonmembers; registration deadline is August 3.
• The Art of Poultry Processing with Ralph and Sheila Schlatter: Ebel's Butcher Shop; Grover Hill, OH; August 25; 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; $15 for IFO members and $20 for nonmembers; registration deadline is August 20.
• Grazing Cattle at Pleasantview Farm: Circleville, OH; Sept. 10; 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; $25 for IFO members and $30 for nonmembers.