REYNOLDSBURG, Ohio -- The latest in national aquaculture research, production and business management will be highlighted at the Ohio Aquaculture Association annual meeting, workshops and banquet.
The event, being held Jan. 17 at the Ohio Department of Agriculture in Reynoldsburg, will feature program and research updates from Ohio State University aquaculturists, as well as from industry professionals and other university specialists from around the country. Registration is $75 per person, which includes attendance to all workshops, participation in the banquet and Ohio Aquaculture Association membership for one year.
Registration and the trade show will open at 8 a.m. The sessions will run from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., followed by the OAA annual business meeting at 5 p.m. and the banquet at 6 p.m. Robert Boggs, director of ODA, will be the keynote speaker of the OAA banquet. Sessions will cover such topics as fish health and biosecurity, shrimp symposium, general aquaculture management and production, and the business and marketing of aquaculture.
Ohio State University aquaculture specialists presenting workshops include:
• Laura Tiu, OSU South Centers at Piketon -- review of the 2008 U.S. Prawn Growers annual meeting.
• Shawn McWhorter, Bowling Green Aquaculture Satellite Center -- introduction to recirculating systems.
• Han-Ping Wang, OSU South Centers at Piketon -- genetically improved yellow perch, and all-male bluegill and their duoculture.
• MacDonald Wick, Department of Animal Sciences -- yellow perch muscle growth and nutrition.
• Geoff Wallat, OSU South Centers at Piketon -- baitfish reproduction, and aquaponics and recirculating aquaculture test system.
• Paul O'Bryant, OSU South Centers at Piketon -- getting started in aquaculture in Ohio.
• Dean Rapp, OSU South Centers at Piketon -- pond construction and management.
Other session presenters include specialists from the University of Arkansas, ODA, Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Ohio Department of Development, Park National Bank, and The Thompson Group.
For more information, or to register, contact Julie Strawser, OSU South Centers at Piketon, at (740) 289-2071, ext.223, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.