COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State University Extension is offering a series of outreach programs this winter targeted to sheep and goat producers, designed to provide information in areas of production, management and marketing.
The district workshops are sponsored by the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association. For more information regarding the programs, contact OSU Extension sheep specialist Roger High at (614) 246-8299 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or log on to http://www.ohiosheep.org.
The following is a list of programs being offered throughout the state:
• Feb. 11 -- Upper Valley Joint Vocational School, Applied Technology Center, Piqua; 7 p.m.; "Animal Welfare: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," speaker David White from Ohio Farm Bureau. Contact Woody Joslin, OSU Extension program assistant for Shelby County at (937) 498-7239.
• Feb. 19 -- Robert Fulton Agriculture Center, 8770 State Route 108, Wauseon; 7 p.m.; "International vs. Domestic Lamb Marketing," speaker Paul Kuber, Ohio State's Department of Animal Sciences. Contact Flo Chirra, OSU Extension educator for Williams County at (419) 636-5608.
• Feb. 26 -- Columbiana County Career and Technical Center, 9364 State Route 45, Lisbon; 7 p.m.; "Lamb and Goat Carcass Evaluation," speaker Henry Zerby, OSU Extension meats specialist. Contact Julie Herron, OSU Extension educator for Columbiana County at (330) 424-7291.
• Feb. 28 -- OSU Extension office, Licking County, 771 E. Main Street, Suite 103, Newark; 7 p.m.; "Status of the USDA Wildlife Services Livestock Protection Program," speaker Andy Montoney, U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services state director. Contact Howard Siegrist, OSU Extension educator for Licking County at (740) 349-6900.
• March 1 -- OSU Extension office, Athens County, 280 W. Union Street, Athens; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; lambing and kidding; various speakers and demonstrations. Contact Rory Lewandowski, OSU Extension educator for Athens County at (740) 593-8555.
• March 1 – Holmes County Training Center, 8001 Township Rd. 574, Holmesville; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; sheep and goat production; various speakers and demonstrations. Contact Grace Brewer, OSU Extension program assistant for Holmes County at (330) 674-3015.
• March 4 -- Seneca County Agricultural Services Building, Extension conference room, 3140 State Route 100, Tiffin; 7 p.m.; "Pasture Management," speaker Bob Hendershot, USDA/NRCS grazing specialist. Contact Ed Lentz, OSU Extension educator for Seneca County at (419) 447-9722.
• March 6 -- UFCW Local 1099 Hall, 913 Lebanon Street, Monroe; 7 p.m.; "Hay and Pasture Management for Sheep and Goats," speaker Gary Wilson, OSU Extension educator for Hancock County. Contact Steve Bartels, OSU Extension educator for Butler County at (513) 887-3722.
• March 13 -- Monroe County Courthouse, Extension office conference room, 101 North Main Street, Woodsfield; 7 p.m.; "Pasture and Hay Management Following the Summer Drought at 2007," speaker Chris Penrose, OSU Extension educator for Morgan County; "Developing a Parasite-Resilient Sheep Program," speaker Daryl Clark, retired OSU Extension educator for Noble County. Contact Steve Schumacher, OSU Extension educator for Belmont County at (740) 695-1455, or Mark Landefeld, OSU Extension educator for Monroe County at (740) 472-0810.
• March 27 -- Minford High School, 491 Bond Road, Minford; 7 p.m.; "Parasite Control Program for Sheep and Goats," speaker Bill Shulaw, OSU Extension veterinarian. Contact Rich Sherman, OSU Extension educator for Scioto County at (740) 354-7879.