PIKETON, Ohio — The ins and outs of raising freshwater shrimp in Ohio will be covered in an Ohio State University South Centers at Piketon workshop on March 28.
The workshop, sponsored by Ohio State Extension and Ohio State's Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, will be conducted via video conference in Piketon and broadcast to four additional sites. The workshop will run from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. A tour of the South Center's facility will be held prior to the start of the workshop at 4 p.m. Pre-registration is encouraged.
The program will cover such topics as pond construction, water quality and aeration, shrimp production and business planning and marketing. The broadcast sites include:
• OARDC, Rm. 130 Research Services, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster.
• OSUE Center at Lima, West Regional Operations Office conference room, 1219 West Main Cross St., Findlay.
• OSUE South East Regional Office, East Learning Center, 16714 S.R. 215, Caldwell.
• OSU Extension Office, 603 Wagner Ave., Greenville. This location is tentative.
• OSU South Centers, 1854 Shyville Rd., Piketon.
Registration fee is $15 per person and $5 per spouse/child. Current shrimp farmers are free. Contact Kelly Roberts at (800) 297-2072 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register.
The workshop is supported through the Ohio Aquaculture Association and Ohio Sea Grant.